Saturday, November 22, 2003

I recently realized something I've been doing wrong since I started ESL go.com - English as a second language learning and teaching and that is the text of the hyperlinks. For example a link like ESLgo doesn't help for the keyword ESL. That's why a domain name like esl-go might have been better. Now I realize the problem and ask people to put ESL go in the text link. Of course other ESL sites don't want me to do better in the search engines so I get annoyed dealing with webmasters who insist on eslgo for my site's title. I'm tempted to type link:http://www.eslgold.com/ into google and e-mail all the sites that link to this guy to suggest that they link to my site and delete the link to his.

Another thing I realized is that graphic links don't contain any keywords. Master of the obvious eh? On my site, I have a graphic header and drop down menus for a footer, and in the end my 250 pages of internal links don't help me out with key words at all. The header has to stay, but my footer will be redesigned to consist of keyword rich text links.